With the recent cold temperatures we had for the last few weeks I was called out to assess several cases of condensation. Such was the case again in North Delta. I think I have to write a full “educational” blog about this phenomenon because it will surely take more words then I usually write in these Daily Climb Blogs. Needless to say, cases of condensation are challenging to resolve. It always requires a process. Check in with my other Blog post to see if I’ve risen to the challenge of writing this one yet… or better yet call me to take a look at your potential.
Today’s blog takes us to Annacis Island situated under the Alex Fraser bridge between Delta, Richmond and New Westminster BC. The worst case scenario leak occurs on a flat roof with external drains. External drains mean that the drains are located outside of the building’s perimeter. So the roof sags, in the middle, over time and the drains remain a high spot on the outside edge of the roof area. Complicate that with an old tar and gravel roof and you have a leak that can fill a bucket faster then you can empty it. Good thing this leak was just in a metal shop and not over some computer warehouse or something like that. A lot of water was getting in. We shoveled. We swept. We blew water. We found the problem and dropped some clay on it. Now we just need the roof to dry so we can upgrade the temp patches to a more permanent torch on status.
Today took us out to Tsawwassen to replace some plumbing vent stacks. The original installer used sloped leads, meant for a minimum 4/12 pitch roof, on a low slope shingle roof. The usage of this hardware resulted in the flange creating a negative slope back up under the shingles on the top side of the stack. It was obvious this was an issue. A flat roof lead should have been used. It was an easy fix once we determined the cause of the leakage the home owner was encountering.In the photo below you can clearly see the debris that was being carried backwards, and up slope, by the rain water. If debris is up there then that means water was too!
Today’s topic takes us into North Delta. A rubber roof leaking around a concrete cinder block wall. We noted the field membrane had wrinkled near the base of the wall. Further exploration proved the membrane had shrunk and pulled away from it’s glued position on the vertical surface. It was then complicated more by further sagging resulting in a clear void in the vertical coverage and it’s integrity. We had to re-pin the membrane back up onto the vertical surface. We strategized. Metal was cut, membrane repositioned and flashing pinned again, with the help of a hammer drill. Sometimes leaks are this easy, for us at least, and other times they can be more challenging. We’re confident we got this one though.